This card is so easy to make it hardly even needs a tutorial, but I thought it would be fun to put together anyway. And I wanted to show off my amazing graphics and photoshop skills (yeah, right). This card makes a perfect handmade Valentine if you embroider something sweet on the label, or the title of your favorite lovesong... Don't want to sew? Use fabric glue! Don't have fabric? Use paper and glue instead!
Without further ado, let's get started!
- 8 1/2 x 11 sheet cardstock
- felt, denim, or any sturdy fabric
- embroidery floss
- pen or chalk pencil (for dark fabric)
- fabric glue (for a no-sew version!)
- fray check (to prevent raggy edges)
Make the Card
- Click to get larger size, and print the pattern:
- Cut the pattern pieces: use sharp scissors to keep those edges tidy!
- Using a pen or chalk pencil, write a lovesong or romantic phrase on the label. Simple block letters are easiest.
- Embroider the label.
- Sew pieces together using a blanket stitch or straight stitch.
No-sew version: Glue the pieces together with fabric glue.
- Optional: If using denim or other fabric, treat raw edges with fray check to keep them from fraying. I didn't use fray check on my card because I like ragged edges!
- Fold the 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock in half for a large card. For a smaller card, fold one more time.
- Sew the finished cassette to card using blanket stitch or straight stitch.
No-sew version: Glue the cassette to the card using fabric glue.
- Say something nice and memorable on the inside of your Valentine!
Voila! You just made a mixtape card. I could churn out a bajillion of these, I think they're so cute. And so much less goopy than your average card bedecked with pink hearts and so forth.
Feel free to use this pattern however you please - alter it, leave out stuff, and adapt to your heart's content.